Snow

Tue Mar 3 23:37:32 UTC 2009

Herb,
The same thing happened with the -ing vs. the -in ending on
participles.  In Britain, anyway, true upper-class varieties retained
-in  (assuming it's the descendant of -inde/-ende) until the 20c.
(Edward VII is reported to ask some sloppy-looking associate of his,
"Yolu goin' rattin'?"), though the upper-middle-class used the
spelling pronunciation/merger with the gerund ending, known from ME
on) with -ing.  At one conference I attended in the '80s, Bill Labov
showed us that we all use -in more frequently in the old participial
uses than gerundive or derived noun uses, so technically, even with
StdE speakers today, it's still a "near-merger" with overlap.

Paul Johnston