use of "sunshine" as a racial slur against blacks

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 4 04:16:22 UTC 2009

It was the *song* that annoyed my parents, not Frankie Laine himself.
I don't think that he mattered to them, one way or the other. I, on
the other hand, *liked* Shine, plus That's My Desire and We'll Be
Together Again. I thought, well, think, inasmuch as I have my three
favorites on my iPod, that the rest of his oeuvre, Mule Train, etc.,
blows.

I can't imagine that Laine could possibly have felt that the words of
the song somehow applied to him. George's suggestion is, IMO, probably
the right one. Ever and always, everyone knew that Frankie Laine was
white and he never pretended to be anything else., despite Wikipedia's
odd claim that there was "early confusion regarding Laine's race."

BTW, George, Shine was released by Laine in 1947. That is a little
early for you.

And then, there's Bobby Darin. He actually passed himself off as a
Negro singer, rather easily done in radio days. All that you needed
was colored arrangers and musicians to back you up. Then, after
Splish-Splash "crossed over," he wiped off the metaphorical blackface
and "revealed." Another example is Frankie Ford, a one-hit wonder with
Sea Cruise, who was backed by Huey "Piano" Smith & The Clowns. To the
extent that Piano is known to the wider world, it's for his original
recording of Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie-Woogie Flu.

The worst-case example is probably Fletcher Henderson, who made far
more money merely arranging for Benny Goodman than he had as the
leader of his own band.

-Wilson
–––
-----