on the other hand

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 5 17:38:52 UTC 2009

I did not ask because I was too lazy to do a Google search. In fact, the
original source that I cited used "on the one side", which sounds
radically bad to my ear. To be honest, I cringe when I hear "on the one
side" as well, but it doesn't bother me quite as much as "on the one
side". Somewhere in that neighborhood is the Bushism, "September the
eleventh", which, to me, seems to be a blend. The former two are likely
unrelated to the latter. Also, with respect to the latter expression, I
most commonly hear it from non-native-English European speakers with
rather good command of the language. You mileage clearly may vary on all
fronts.

    VS-)