on the other hand

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 5 18:11:19 UTC 2009

FWIW, I, like Victor, I'm assuming, grew up with "on one hand." In my
youth, "on _the_ one hand" wasn't used by anyone in the Saint Louis
area. This is the first time that I've ever seen or heard "on the one
_side_." But I've read and heard "on _the_ one hand" often enough not
to be taken aback by it. The strings with _the_ aren't used in BE.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain