odd-on favorite

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 6 18:13:31 UTC 2009

This is just an observation. I am not offering any dramatic conclusions.

At first, I thought it was a typo.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2009_03/017176.php
    If Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D) runs for governor in California next
year, she's the _odd-on favorite_ to win the Democratic nomination.

But I am not convinced that it is.

"odd-on favorite"     1330 ghits (actual 188 hits)
"odd-on favourite"     221 ghits (65)
"odd-on leader"             2 ghits (2)
"odd-on loser"               5 ghits (5)
"odds-on favorite"     114K ghits (690)
"odds-on favourite"   50.4K ghits (549)
"odds-on leader"         99 ghits (26)
"odds-on loser"         182 ghits (46)

There is an extra complication that some of the "odd-on" hits also
include "odd's-on", which is not a problem with the "odds-on" count.
Then, "odd's-on" gets its own share of hits.

"odd's-on favorite"      114K ghits (54)
"odd's-on favourite"   50.9K ghits (32)

What I find interesting that there is virtual parity in raw hits for
odd's vs odds, but that this does not show up when the actual hits are
counted. And "odd's-on leader" only gets 1 hit. So does "odd's on loser".

    VS-)