velarized /l/ and Billy Holiday

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 6 19:58:15 UTC 2009

arnold, what accounts for the disyllabic pronunciation of _-ool_
preferred by white speakers?

Some of the other things that I've wondered about, which, in this
case, has essentially nothing to do with race, how do the
professionals deal with such oddities as

The fact that siblings may have very different idiolects. My brothers
and I each speak a different variety of both BE and sE.

The fact that "Deacon" - as he called himself when he was doing
standup - Andy Griffith, from Mount Airy, NC, sounds to me amazing
like a former colleague, with whom I worked for over twelve years,
from Lubbock, TX.

A person whose singing is perfectly clear can speak in such a way that
you really have to know the dialect in order to understand him; a
white example is the Texan, B.J. Thomas, who sang, Raindrops Keep
Falling on My Head just as clearly and local-accent-free as any random
sE speaker might. In an interview, however, he "sounded like he had a
mouth full of cush," as black - and, perhaps, white, too - East Texans
say, when speaking in what was, no doubt, his home dialect.. It was as
amazing as hearing The Two Johns - Baugh and Rickford - switch between
Se and BE. (FWIW, I'm not impressed by their command of sE. What I
find notable is that they've managed to keep their BE pure. My BE is,
to a certain extent, corrupted by sE, both phonetically and
syntactically. Like, I now have to *practice* pronouncing "three" as
[TRi], wherein [R] may consist of as many as four or five taps
(actually, a pronunciation used by *all* speakers that I'd ever heard,
till I moved to Boston), instead of as [Tri], in which [r] is merely a
kind of "ur'-like sound making "three" sound like "thur ee."

This is not to say that I think that these questions are, to any
degree, insoluble problems for people who have actual *knowledge* of
dialectology. Rather, I'm merely wondered about these things.

At first, I was fascinated, not understanding how that pronunciation
could be done. So, I practiced saying it till, before I knew it, I was
using that pronunciation as my normal one, helped along by the fact
that my wife and her family use the "thur ee" pronunciation. Now, I
have to monitor my speech to make sure that I'm using the original
pronunciation. (Back in the day, language / linguistic texts used to
describe trilled /r/ as being  /r/ pronounced as English /r/ after
"th." I don't think that the writers would have used that description,
had their been the current large body of "thur ee" speakers, for whom
this description is meaningless.

Or maybe they would have, anyway. I once read a linguistic text by a
Jesuit professor from Georgetown that claimed that "noon" was
pronounced as [nIwn]. Say what?! Well, it *is* pronounced that way,
here in the Northeast.

I had occasion to chat with said professor at the '73 Michigan Summer
LSA. He mentioned that he had seen me at various other linguistic
happenings "and I've been wondering what you're doing here."

This question struck me as astoundingly, unbelievably, incredibly,
stunningly, astonishingly, I-can't-believe-what-I'm-hearing, amazingly
racist. But later, when I tried to whine about this to friends, I
found that no one else found this question to be at all out of place
or uncalled-for. Apparently, everyone else was in agreement with the
implication that the presence of a black person at a linguistic
conference was something so out of the ordinary that it should be
expected that his presence there could be questioned or even be
challenged.

Is the LSA, therefore, a racist organization made up of racists?

Of course not! But the experience of the United States by a black
person is simply different from the experience of the United States by
a white person: different expectations, different reactions.

What can you do?

-Wilson
–––
-----