velarized /l/ and Billy Holiday

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 7 12:07:26 UTC 2009

Herb, Great.  The letter "l" is alveolar not velar.  But I would still intuit that the tongue is closer to the velar region when saying a long e ~ee than a short oo ~oo ("leek" vs "look").

Regards truespel phonetic spelling development, the point of articulation was not taken into account during it's development, merely the prevelent English spelling forms for sounds.  That's why, for instance, the sound of "ou" in "out" is foespeld ~ou rather than ~au (which is German not English).

The truespel notation spelling choices are backed up by two studies, truespel books 1 and 4.  Book 1 looks into phoneme spelling frequency for a list of 57 k words.  Book 4 looks into phoneme frequency of the 5k most common words weighted by how often they appear in text.  There are some big differences.  If you like reading spreadsheet after spreadsheet, these books are for you.

Truespel has tremendous advantages over IPA for application to English learners as I've mentioned before.

see truespel.com