"to stay" vs. "to live" (reside)

Mon Mar 9 12:41:07 UTC 2009

So they were just using "stay" in the usual sense, not the sense of 'dwell'.

The two senses do overlap so considerably that it is not always clear what the speaker intends. The difference (in the standard usage) is just in how temporary was the residing in the mind of the speaker. But one can also say, "I moved to Lamond Avenue in 1990 and I stayed there 12 years."

-----Original Message-----
From: Margaret Lee <mlee303 at YAHOO.COM>

Date:         Mon, 9 Mar 2009 03:56:16
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] "to stay" vs. "to live" (reside)

I have evidence from my own family-- aunts and uncles, and older cousins--who migrated from rural Virginia to northern states during the late 1930's and '40's and into the '50's.  On their return visits to family in Virginia or my visits with them, they would often talk about their housing situations (who "stayed" where, with whom, and why) so I have observed their and their children's use of "stay" for "live" most of my life.

--Margaret Lee