Unemployment lingo (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 9 16:14:22 UTC 2009

FWIW, when I waas in the Arny fifty years ago, any trashcan that
wasn't used for the disposal of left-over food - a "garbage can" - was
called a "shitcan." Throwing something away was referred to as
"shitcanning" it.

I've always felt that "can" in the sense of "fire" - I got *canned* -
was a clip of "shitcan," unless it was based on the old, sadistic,
children's game of tying a can to a dog's tail, still not unheard of
as recently as the war years, i.e., during WWII, for you younger folk.

But these derivations are no more than WAG's on my part.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain