March 10: The telephone is 133 years old today. Call me.

Dennis Baron debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU
Tue Mar 10 02:24:45 UTC 2009

There's a new post on the Web of Language:

March 10: The telephone is 133 years old today. Call me.

133 years ago, on March 10, 1876, Alexander Graham Bell demonstrated
that the human voice could be transmitted electrically across wires by
shouting the famous words, "Mr. Watson – Come here – I want to see
you," into the telephone that he had constructed. As Bell wrote in his
lab notebook, "To my delight he came and declared that he had heard
and understood what I said." To prove it, Watson repeated Bell's words
verbatim.

Bell had to shout into the receiver because the electrical signal lost
strength as it traveled from one room to the next. The sound quality
was poor as well. When the two men changed places and Watson spoke
into the device, Bell couldn't understand the passage that Watson read
from a book:

I could not make out the sense, but an occasional word here and there
was quite distinct. I made out "to" and "out" and "further", and
finally the sentence "Mr. Bell Do you understand what I say? DO-YOU-un-
der-stand-what-I-say" came quite clearly and intelligibly.

Find out more about old phones and new, on the Web of Language

http://illinois.edu/goto/weboflanguage

____________________
Dennis Baron
Professor of English and Linguistics