Shrimp(s) and prawns

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 11 01:58:55 UTC 2009

At 8:48 PM -0400 3/10/09, Bill Palmer wrote:
>On the east coast of the US they are all "shrimp", regardless of size.  As
>far as I know, the word "prawn" is unknown.

Well, it's known now, but it's still foreign in some sense.  A while
back it was *really* unknown, even to proto-foodies.  I remember
distinctly visiting London at age 18 after many years of delighted
consumption of seafood in New York and environs and being amazed that
they called shrimp prawns.  They were big shrimp, as shrimp go.

LH