velarized /l/ again

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 11 02:31:38 UTC 2009

Wilson mentioned in the previous thread that /l/ tends not to be
velarized in AAE, at least certainly not as much in other AmE
varieties.  I've noticed this week the word "colleague" pronounced on
TV by two African Americans, one I think an Olympic track athlete in a
cell phone ad and the other Ice T on Law and Order SVU.  Both
pronounced the /l/ without velarization and clearly the onset of the
second syllable.  In my speech the /l/ is ambisyllabic, begins
velarized and ends unvelarized.

Herb