Sorbet

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Wed Mar 11 16:34:41 UTC 2009

On 3/11/09 9:33 AM, "Bill Palmer" <w_a_palmer at BELLSOUTH.NET> wrote:

> I may be the last  one holding out against Frenchifying this word of Turkish
> provenance.  Is it now OK to pronounce it "sor-bay"?
>

> Bill Palmer

I'm guessing that the main reason for pronouncing the final /t/ in sorbet is
so that when people correct you, you can come back with your explanation of
how the word is actually of Turkish origin. As we all know, there is no
surer way of winning friends and influencing people than citing etymologies
at them.

Seriously though, since the word came into English through French, this
isn't a case of Frenchifying by English speakers, is it? Is the word
pronounced in French without the final /t/?