music genres

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 12 01:43:40 UTC 2009

the sponsored links that came with your post have three instances of
"hip hop" and one of "hiphop." In my BE drawl, I say "hip hop,"
definitely separate syllables, both beginning with /h/. If I feel like
increasing my rate of speech, I can get to [hIphap], but [hIpap]? It
ain't no days like that.

FWIW, "the *real* soul brother," to use Richard Pryor's phrase,
doesn't have much contact with first-generation, alien black people.
When I was in the Army, even the B-girls in the black Ami-Bars
distinguished American-born black GI's from the Caribbean-born - on
the basis of dialect, I assume, there being no other obvious
distinction - by ignoring the latter, as though they were white. In
odd like manner, this accorded with the treatment given black GI's who
visited white Ami-Bars: the "girls" - ranging in age from ca.25 to
ca.40 - simply ignored them. They could get served. But, they couldn't
get no, um, satisfaction, couldn't get no, um, girl reaction,
rendering the whole exercise pointless.

-Wilson
–––
-----