either

Thu Mar 12 13:23:08 UTC 2009

Add "aunt" to the list of words that sound pretentious to some folks with [a] or open o--which are the normal unaffected pronunciations for many (rather than rhyming with "can't").

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>

Date:         Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:43:28
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] either

Sorry, folks, but my thoroughly unpretentious NYC family always said
"tomahto" at least as far back as the 1890s (unless both my grandparents
suddenly switched for some reason), and so did I until Southerners ridiculed
me out of it. In fact it still sounds normal to me, as do both either and
either. But "avviator" sounds better than "aviator."  My grandfather also
favored "raddiator" and "raddio," but my grandmother did not.

Now "potahto" - that's pretentious.  I've never heard it outside of the
song.

JL