"troll" -- an English Internet term enters German

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Thu Mar 12 23:19:19 UTC 2009

On 12 Mar 2009, at 20:47, Cohen, Gerald Leonard wrote:

>    For those interested in the influence of English on other
> languages: -----
>
>  The shooting in Winnenden, Germany has brought to German public
> attention  the Internet term "troll.".  Today's tagesschau.de news
> items include one with a direct quote from the shooter ("ich trolle
> nur" = "I'm only trolling"; in a chat room message)  Here's the
> relevant excerpt plus translation:
> [...snip...]

Two notes, one off-topic, one on:

- Some googling turns up earlier explanations of the web term "T/
troll" in the German mainstream media, such as this 2004 Spiegel
article http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/web/0,1518,287798,00.html,
following reports of the prime minister of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
suing a man who had sent him an inflammatory and insulting email, in
reaction to something he had read on the state govenrnment's web site.
The entire article is about the concept of trolling and the dangers
associated with practicing this activity.
- There is considerable doubt about the authenticity of the forum post
that has been attributed to the shooter. Just saying.

Best,

Chris Waigl

--
Chris Waigl -- http://chryss.eu -- http://eggcorns.lascribe.net