Uvular /l/ (Was: velarized /l/ again)

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Thu Mar 12 23:23:27 UTC 2009

Clarification: When they talk about "velar /l/" here, they mean velarIZED
(and I think most of them do write 'velarized' instead of 'velar', just as
in the title of the post). As at least one poster has pointed out, a
velarIZED /l/ is indeed alveolar: The tongue tip touches the alveolar ridge,
but even so, at the same time, the back of the tongue rises somewhat as
well. (Is it higher than it goes for the [i] sound, an issue you've brought
up? I don't know, but I do know it goes up. If you don't do it, your /l/s
sound a little off, like Jerry Reed calling the judge a "hillbilly" in "When
You're Hot, You're Hot, or like Snigdha Prakash when she says "dollars.")

However, when I talk about a uvular /l/, I do mean uvular. I know from
personal experience of making my /l/s this way as a kid that the tip of my
tongue stayed on the floor of my mouth, and the back of my tongue touched
the way back part of my soft palate (i.e. uvula). This sound really doesn't
have anything in common with /l/ at all from an articulatory perspective
(other than being a voiced continuant). The airstream is not escaping along
the sides of the tongue, as it does for alveolar /l/; it's coming out the
nose, as it does for [m, n, N]. The only reason I call it an /l/ is that
people who use it really do use it as their realization of /l/. All I can
guess is that acoustically it must bear a fair resemblance to alveolar /l/.
And to make it, I suggest starting to make the [N] ("ng") sound and really
stretch it out. While you're doing that, slowly slide your tongue backwards
so that the contact point is maybe 5mm further back, and then you'll
probably be making this sound. And if you want to hear what one sounds like,
listen to Ira Glass on any episode of This American Life; I'm almost
positive that's how he's making his /l/s.

Neal