Uvular /l/ (Was: velarized /l/ again)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 14 00:49:35 UTC 2009

I agree.   I do call truespel a "phonetic" system.  The term "phonemic" has various meanings.  People understand the term phonetic in terms of dictionary keys.

How about m-w.com or thefreedictionary.com.  Do the velarize their "l"s much for various words like lull, little.  My accent can be heard below in my talk about truespel.

http://tinypaste.com/764f4

see truespel.com

> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 16:25:47 -0400
> From: hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
> Subject: Re: Uvular /l/ (Was: velarized /l/ again)
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Herb Stahlke
> Subject: Re: Uvular /l/ (Was: velarized /l/ again)
>
> Truespel is roughly phonemic, and so it wouldn't make a distinction
> between bright and dark /l/, since that's strictly allophonic. For
> many speakers of American English /l/ is always velarized after a
> vowel, that is, at the end of a syllable. For some speaker it's
> velarized before vowels as well, so the /l/ in "lull" would both be
> velarized for these speakers. For others, like speakers of Black
> English whom we've discussed earlier in this thread, there is little
> or no velarization. Not having heard your speech, Tom, I don't know
> which group you fall into. There is no anatomical reason why
> post-vocalic /l/ has to be velarized. It just is. These things
> frequently don't have reasons. They just are. So the /l/ of "mill"
> is dark because that's what most English speakers do.
>
> Herb
>

> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>> Poster: Tom Zurinskas
>> Subject: Re: Uvular /l/ (Was: velarized /l/ again)
>>
>> It would be good to list some words both for near-velar (dark l) versus non-velar (regular l) so I can hear them in thefreedictionary.com and compare them. I don't understand why "mill" would be dark l. Is it because "l" is the last syllable? I don't think "milt" is near velar. Are we talking USA accent?
>>
>> For a simple notation like truespel, those l's would be merely spelled as "l". The same applies to velar n and regular n. Also palatized k and velar k.
>>
>> Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL5+
>> see truespel.com

>>> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:27:29 -0400
>>> From: nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
>>> Subject: Re: Uvular /l/ (Was: velarized /l/ again)
>>> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet.
http://windowslive.com/online/groups?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_groups_032009