Uvular /l/ (Was: velarized /l/ again)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 14 15:03:30 UTC 2009

Herb,

The big issue for me is simplicity and usability of phonetics.  The IPS and SAMPA and the others are not suitable for use by English speaking folks.  The reality is that English is the lingua franca of the world, and thus phonetics should be English friendly and as simple (dare we say elegant) as possible.  That would help others learn English and also be maximally friendly to English speaking natives.

The military has a need for truespel.  They need an easy way to learn how to pronounce languages.  They use "no-name-spell" now that looks like this - MIL-it-ary.  If the military or US Govt. put out a request for proposals to develop an English friendly phonetic spelling, truespel does the job already.  It's the only phonetic spelling that is pronunciation guide quality, and it's free at truespel.com

The truespel database is available for any folks interested in using it for tests or phontic analysis.  Truespel works well for this because it's spreadsheet friendly.  Two of my four truespel books anaylyze the frequency of phoneme frequency.  One compares interlanguage phoneme frequency.  I'd like to do more of that.

see truespel.com