CANDY and JUNK

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 15 22:57:00 UTC 2009

That should be "always in ref. to women with ample arses and always in
favorable contexts." The woman herself doesn't have to be "thick,"
since the so-called "bubble-butt" is also considered to be quite
attractive. A girl that I knew in 1954 who was given the nickname,
"'Hind," because of the size of her arse, was otherwise slender. By
black standards, anyway. Even if someone had "dis-assed her"
(punchline of an old joke, punning on "disaster"), she still wouldn't
have been as "poor" as the average fashion model.

"Junk in the trunk" has a literal derivation, from the usual presence
of literal junk in the trunk of a car. As a consequence, "badunkadunk"
is likewise a synonym for "arse of remarkably-attractive dimensions,"
being  punning onomatopoeia for the noise made by junk in the trunk,
when a car crosses railroad tracks, hits a pothole, or such like.

Remember the '70's SNL sketch in which the guys are sitting around
shooting the shit about women. They're all talking, except for Garrett
Morris. They're all going on and on about breasts, bosoms, bazooms,
boobs, racks, etc. Finally, they notice that Garrett hasn't said
anything. So, one asks, "Garrett, what do *you* like about a woman?"
Garrett replies, in his N'Awlins accent, "Ah lack a gal wiff a big
butt."

In Dave Chappelle's quiz-show sketch, "I Know Black People," one of
the questions was, "What does 'badunkadunk' mean?" Acceptable answers
were "junk in the trunk" or "a big ass / boody."

AFAIK, "junk" is also used in black slang for the male genitalia.
"(That good) stuff" has been used for the female genitalia and woman
as sex object since God knows when. My mother, now 97, uses it.
Without the least understanding of the subtext, of course.

According to Seinfeld's buddy, Kramer, the "boys" refers only to the
testes, with no reference to the penis.

-Wilson
-Wilson
–––