Dictionaries recognize same-sex marriage; opponents allege plot

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Thu Mar 19 13:39:30 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 10:51:04PM -0500, Dennis Baron wrote:

[...]

> This month the Oxford English Dictionary modified its definition of
> marriage as well by adding, "The term is now sometimes used with
> reference to long-term relationships between partners of the same
> sex."

[...]

Dennis,

This is not the case. This comment at _marriage_ has been part
of the entry since (I believe) it first appeared, in December
2000. There was another change made recently, which is why the
entry shows a "Draft revision March 2009" date, but it does
not related to our coverage of same-sex marriage.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED