spelling pronunciation--words in -or

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Fri Mar 20 11:29:21 UTC 2009

E. E. Cummings's lovely poem "I Sing of Olaf" (1931) begins:

i sing of Olaf glad and big
whose warmest heart recoiled at war:
a conscientious object-or

The rhyme and the hyphenated spelling certainly suggest stress and an "open o" in the final syllable (or, if you must, an /o/).  For what effect I'm not sure--perhaps to suggest the pretentiousness of the bureaucrats who assign the classification or of the politicians who denounce it?

--Charlie