straw purchase(r)/buyer

Mon Mar 23 00:33:52 UTC 2009

> the expressions are almost surely related to "man of straw" and "straw
> man".  and compare this cite for "straw bail" in the OED:
>
> 1859  Bartlett Dict. Amer. (ed. 2) 455: worthless bail; bail given by
> 'man of straw', i.e. persons who pretend to the possession of
> property, but have none.

If 1859 is the best that the OED can do with "straw bail", here are a couple from the early 1840s.  It was a very frequent topic for complaint in the 1840s.

        [because of Judge Lynch, "rogues are rarely brought to trial, if they have money enough to obtain straw bail and a habeas"]
        New York Herald, December 19, 1841, p. 1, col. 5  [A NYC judge named Lynch; not a reference to lynching]

        [an English pickpocket named Edward Hammond, aka Simpson, arrested “some two years since;” he had been sentenced to 5 years, but the sentence was being appealed; he had been bailed; will one of “our higher Judges . . . again turn a villain loose on straw bail?”]
        New-York Daily Tribune, June 30, 1843, p. 2, col. 5

I actually have a note from earlier in 1841, but without context.  It was from the Tribune, and a search of that on Proquest might turn it up.  Also several other appearances from 1842 & 1843, from other papers, and also without context.  I will get full context, upon request.

GAT

George A. Thompson