eggcorns and other wild beasts--the Bernei Madoff edition

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Mon Mar 23 21:50:55 UTC 2009

    There probably are situations where "meet and proper" sounds just
fine, but this is not one of them.  The email, on page 79 of the PDF at
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/CNBC/Sections/News_And_Analysis/_News/__EDIT
%20Englewood%20Cliffs/LetterOfMadoffVictims.pdf, is stilted in the
extreme.  The writer, whose identity has been redacted, apparently seeks
to present himself as highly educated, but he comes across instead as a
coxcomb.

    In contrast, I don't have any problems with examples such as this
sentence from the California Welfare and Institutions Code:  "Any order
made by the court in the case of any person subject to its jurisdiction
may at any time be changed, modified, or set aside, as the judge deems
meet and proper, subject to such procedural requirements as are imposed
by this article."

John Baker