'Learn' As in Biblical 'Know'

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Mar 24 16:33:21 UTC 2009

The idea that sexual experience (like all other human endeavors) could and should be an avenue to knowledge was a well established Christian/Platonic (even "Puritan") concept in the 16th and 17th centuries.  That's one of the implications of the term "carnal knowledge"--what's often referred to nowadays as "knowing in the biblical sense" (which means "in the KJV sense"!).  Of course, the phrase was also simply a euphemism.

Knowledge comes from learning; so it seems that we OUGHT to encounter sexual learning (and sexual teaching) alongside (or prior to) sexual knowledge!  Searching the phrase "carnal learning" does turn up some Google hits:  900+ of them, together with 500 in Google Books--some of which seem to quote the phrase from the early Quaker George Fox, and many are from the 19th century.

--Charlie