google-shmoogle: a query on a hard to search item

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 25 14:50:21 UTC 2009

At 10:21 AM -0400 3/25/09, Baker, John wrote:
>         Try a search for shmancer/schmancer (I believe the spelling
>"schmancer" is more common), based on the old Yiddish joke, which dates
>back at least to the early 1940s.  That seems to be the most famous
>example of this type.  Not in ADS-L archives.
>

>John Baker

Thanks; I didn't find the joke, but I did find the Fran Drescher book
_Cancer Shmancer_.  Reminds me that "fancy-shmancy" is a now
conventionalized offshoot of this construction.  And thanks to Arnold
for the link to his and Geoff Pullum's paper and to Ben for the idea
of searching under shm-reduplication, which pulls up a brief
wiki-entry that includes a bibliography listing:

Feinsilver, Lillian Mermin. "On Yiddish Shm-." American Speech 36
(1961): 302-3.

Nevins, Andrew and Bert Vaux. "Metalinguistic, Shmetalinguistic: The
phonology of shm-reduplication." CLS 39 (2003).

Spitzer, Leo. "Confusion Shmooshun." Journal of English and Germanic
Philology 51 (1952): 226-33.

(Someone should add Z&P's BLS paper to the entry.)

LH