google-shmoogle: a query on a hard to search item

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Mar 25 18:27:55 UTC 2009

At 12:37 PM -0400 3/25/09, Mark Mandel wrote:
>(This is probably covered in those references, but here goes.) Note that
>"fancy-shmancy" has been lexicalized.

That's what I had in mind below in calling it conventionalized, but
the different semantics is worth noting directly.

>The original "X-shmX" construction
>functions (as what? an interjection?) to dismiss the whole topic of X as
>trivial in context.

As in the various one-liners along the lines of "Ethnic-shmethnic, as
long as he's Jewish" or "Catholic-Shmatholic, as long as she's rich".

LH