the three "n" s

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 26 04:22:31 UTC 2009

Sorry.  I think this is what I sent that was garbled.

Right.  I'm hearing most folks (and talking dictionaries) say ~seeng versus ~sing for the word "sing".  The "s" is alveolar, then for the "i" the tongue does not stay in the same place as for "sin".  Instead, to make a short i, the tongue raises to prepare for "n" which is velar because the tongue is preparing for "g" which is velar.  Thus the raised tongue goes to ~ee rather than ~i, for ~seeng instead of ~sing.

For the word "seen" my tongue goes kinda flat up, palatal, for making the air dam to divert air to the nose for ~n.  This is because for ~ee the tongue is raised for starters, then to get to the alveolar "n" the whole tongue stays raised and goes up to the palate rather than just the tip folding up to the alveolar.  This "raise up" includes touching the alveolar (top gums all the way around front and side) all the way back to the near velar for making the air dam to divert air to the nose for the nasal ~n sound.

I think the tongue for the "n" in "injure" is more alveolar and less palatized than for "seen" or "scenic".  A leading ~ee has the tongue raised for starters before the "n" and transitions into it.  I can see where the tongue could "think ahead" and raise from ~i to get to the ~j such that the ~n is palatized.  But no biggie.  Both allophones.  However, I think the velar "n" is an allophone as well and doen't need a special symbol.

see truespel.com

> Tom,
>
> Your message came through encoded.
>
> Herb

Internet Explorer 8 – Now Available. Faster, safer, easier.
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/141323790/direct/01/