hand over fist/foot

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Mar 26 22:42:07 UTC 2009

"Hand over foot"? I've never heard that before. And, at my advanced
age and with any, luck, I won't live long enough to hear it again. ;-)

This is just a random question not requiring a response. But, has
anyone ever wondered about why it is that some words and phrases
strike you as really cool and others strike you as utterly lame?

And then there are words and phrases that were once indispensible
parts of your vocabulary. Then, they vanish. I can't recall when I
last used

takes the meat
eats the green weenie
bites the big one

For a while, I continued to use "in the War" instead of "in the Army,"
because I had an ace, a Navy veteran, who always got the jaws behind
hearing me say it. He felt that I was thereby claiming to have seen
combat.

-Wilson
–––
-----