Reuters

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Sat Mar 28 14:27:16 UTC 2009

Remember Matthew Arnold's essay on ugly English sunames, inspired by a news item that noted, regarding a murderess, "Wragg is in custody"?

And Milton's Sonnet 11, about the difficulty readers had with the title of his tract "Tetrachordon" (advocating the legalization of divorce): "Why is it harder, Sirs, than Gordon, / Colkitto, or Macdonnel, or Galasp? / Those rugged names to our like mouths grow sleek, / That would have made Quintillian stare and gasp." (The object there seem to be ridiculous Scottish names that English Presbyterians admired).

--Charlie