"craps game"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Mar 30 14:21:43 UTC 2009

I am probably as old as John Lahr ("several decades"), but I've
always known it as the "game of craps" -- that is, not only as the
"floating crap game" of Guys and Dolls.   Does going back 16 decades,
or appearing in the OED, make it more hyercorrect?

craps
A game of chance played with dice; to shoot craps: to play at this
game. Also Comb. (see CRAP n.4).
1843 J. H. GREENE Expos. Gambling 88 The game of craps..is a game
lately introduced into New Orleans, and is fully equal to faro in
its..ruinous effects. 1850 MAYNE REID Rifle Rangers I. i. 9 So I
stepped inter a shanty whar they wur a playin craps. 1888 St. Louis
Globe Democrat (Farmer), A party of colored deck hands were playing
craps. 1902 T. M. YOUNG Amer. Cotton Industry 103 The besetting
weakness of the negro is gambling, and his favourite game is 'craps'.
1903 N.Y. Sun 12 Nov. 1 Two young toughs came along and started to
shoot craps. ...

In case one thinks "if 'craps' tells me to 'see crap n.4', then
'crap' is the correct form", the OED calls "crap" a "var.
craps".  And with a smirk I suggest that, although the earliest
quotation for "crap" is co-equal to that for "craps", the one for
"crap" is clearly a case of a misplaced apostrophe:

crap n.4
  1. Var. CRAPS.
1843 J. H. GREENE Espos. Gambling 89 Ask many of the merchants, what
has resulted to them in consequence of their clerks being decoyed to
the crap's table. 1891 Amer. N. & Q. VIII. 41 There is a sort of
gambling game, called crap, or 'shooting crap', much played by
newsboys, bootblacks and negroes. ...

Joel