"craps game"

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 30 15:49:27 UTC 2009

I'd argue that there's something else going on here.  At least one thing else.

Craps fits in with game names that have plural form but singular
agreement:  checkers, billiards, draughts, cards, tenpins,
tiddly-winks, etc.  The name of the game also serves often as the name
of a game piece, in which case it has both a singular and a plural,
checker/checkers.  But this doesn't work for all game names, like
craps, where a crap is probably not a game piece.

But there has also been a development in the history of English that
came to fruition probably in late 16th, early 17th centuries, in other
words, Early Modern English.  The -s of words in -ic, like physics;
the -s of words in -nce, like dependence; plurals with singular
agreement like news and checkers, and OE-derived compounds in -man,
like craftsman, spokesman, etc.--these different -s suffixes from
several different sources, some native and some borrowed, came
together during this time as a new suffix marking a kind of
nominalization, where an adjective or a concrete noun takes on a
somewhat more abstract sense.  In Shakespeare you can find "news," for
example, used in exactly the same sense with singular agreement in
some places and plural in others.  It was also about this time that
French borrowings in -nce lost their French pronounciation, with a
nasalized lower back vowel plus /s/ and became anglicized with a schwa
+ /n/ + /s/, with probably an epenthetic [t] between the consonants.

There's more evidence and argument on this in a paper that'll be out
in Word sometime soon.  I don't think craps is a plural in the usages
described by something between a game name and an abstract noun.

Herb