sumetary

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Tue Mar 31 17:43:15 UTC 2009

I wanted to add a couple of points to what others have responded:

1. The man's name is Labov, and he pronounces it /l at bov/ (i.e. to rhyme with
'stove').

2. As Herb noted, the Northern Cities Shift (NCS) has been around for much
longer than the kinds of "whole language" approaches Tom seeks to pin the
blame on. I'm not sure I'd date it back 100 yrs. but it's at least 5 or 6
decades old.

3. Phonological features like the NCS are part of a child's grammar before
they begin to learn to read. At best, then, a reading program might be used
(futilely, no doubt) to "correct" the shift.

4. Because the NCS involves sub-phonemic shifts in vowel quality, I don't
see how increased emphasis on the "alphabetic principle" would be of any
value. Whether or not a child has the NCS, mastering the alphabetic
principle involves associating some letter with some *phoneme* not with some
allophone. Both the child learning to read in New York City and the one
learning to read in Chicago may come to associate the letter <o> (e.g. cot,
lot) with the phoneme /A/, but the Chicagoan will more often realize that
phoneme with a central or fronter allophone (per the NCS). I suppose you
could coach someone to use a different allophone, but that's got nothing to
do with teaching them to read - that's accent reduction therapy.