Labov

Tue Mar 31 19:58:10 UTC 2009

This has alwas seemed most unnatural to me. I've always assumed that the -ov
is a Slavic ending, and as such it would rhyme more with with "Dog" than
"stove." tNo one would pronounce "Romanov" or "Chekov" and rhyme the last syllable
 rhyme with "hove" or the past tense of "dive."

> At 12:43 PM -0500 3/31/09, Matthew Gordon wrote:
> >I wanted to add a couple of points to what others have responded:
> >
> >1. The man's name is Labov, and he pronounces it /l at bov/ (i.e. to rhyme
> with
> >'stove').

Feeling the pinch at the grocery store?  Make dinner for $10 or