spelling pronunciation

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon May 4 03:23:45 UTC 2009

>From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spelling_pronunciation

A "spelling pronunciation" is a pronunciation that, instead of reflecting the way the word was pronounced by previous generations of speakers, is a rendering in sound of the word's spelling. Spelling pronunciations compete, often effectively, with the older traditional pronunciation.

I've heard this called "eye dialect".  The problem is that for both terms there is no easy way to verbify them.

I've called this "spelnountseeng".  The Verb form is to spelnounts.

see truespel.com

> Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 22:41:59 -0400
> From: laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
> Subject: Jesse S. et al. v. Antonin S. et al. on fleeting expletives