spelling pronunciation

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 5 02:17:46 UTC 2009

Thanks for the correction.  So "eye dialect" is a term describing a "spelling" which portrays a certain dialect or accent (as wikipedia says).  So why not call it "dialect spelling" or aksentspel. "Eye dialect" doesn't work.

What made sense to me was tht "eye dialect" meant that you saw a word and pronounced it as you saw it.  That way would put the "t" into "often".  The term "spelling pronunciation" covers that, or as I say "spelnountseeng" to give it a verb form.

Not only does the term "eye dialect" work intuitively for me as defined by wikipedia, it doesn't even work for the wikipedia definition because that definition covers accent spelling as well as dialect spelling.  A foreign accent is not a dialect.

So we're talking about a "spelling" (e.g. "dis is duh vay") and it includes spelling foreign accents.  So "akcentspeleeng" is a better term.  It also has a verb form.

see truespel.com

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.