distinguished alum

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 6 00:46:22 UTC 2009

I deprecate it as a vulgar error. What keeps people from saying simly,
"I'm a graduate of [Name]" or some such, now that the classical
education is dead and English doesn't distinguish grammatical gender
in any meaningful or useful way. If the classical languagesare only
noise to you, what's wrong with English?

And I really doubt that the average non-classicist has any concept of
the the distinction in either meaning or pronunciation between -I and
-AE or the meaning of the nueuter plural, -A.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain