ADS-L Digest - 5 May 2009 to 6 May 2009 (#2009-127)

Betsy Lowe bbjmlowe at EMBARQMAIL.COM
Thu May 7 20:56:37 UTC 2009

About "fuse box": please.  It's not worth discussing.  It's about a silly, quasi-literate pretentious journalist trying to find a descriptive phrase that hasn't been used before and developing a metaphor that sounds cool but doesn't mean anything.  Pretty soon it will be hot jargon and added to the lexicon without anyone really knowing what it means.  The verbal version of the emperor's new clothes.
Betsy Lowe
Jay and Molly's mom
910-483-2268
"I suddenly realized that
anyone doing anything
weird really wasn't that
weird at all and it was the
people saying that they
were weird that were
weird."
Paul McCartney
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Automatic digest processor
  To: Recipients of ADS-L digests
  Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 12:17 AM
  Subject: ADS-L Digest - 5 May 2009 to 6 May 2009 (#2009-127)

  Topics of the day:

    1. distinguished alum (2)
    2. "fuse box" eggcorn? (2)
    3. losing steam (2)
    4. New Book on word myths/misconceptions:  Origin of the Speciious

  Date:    Wed, 6 May 2009 10:45:26 -0500
  From:    Barbara Need <bhneed at GMAIL.COM>
  Subject: Re: distinguished alum

  On 5 May 2009, at 7:46 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

  > And I really doubt that the average non-classicist has any concept of
  > the the distinction in either meaning or pronunciation between -I and
  > -AE or the meaning of the nueuter plural, -A.

  Wilson,

  In my experience, non-classicists consistently use [aI] for alumni and
  [i] for alumnae.

  Barbara

  Barbara Need
  Chicago

  ------------------------------

  Date:    Wed, 6 May 2009 09:03:00 -0700
  From:    Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>

  On May 6, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Barbara Need wrote:

  > On 5 May 2009, at 7:46 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
  >
  >> And I really doubt that the average non-classicist has any concept of
  >> the the distinction in either meaning or pronunciation between -I and
  >> -AE or the meaning of the nueuter plural, -A.
  >
  > Wilson,
  >
  > In my experience, non-classicists consistently use [aI] for alumni and
  > [i] for alumnae.

  and that's what AHD4 recommends, as i pointed out in the posting on my
  blog (though not in the earlier draft here on ADS-L; my blog posting
  is not just a re-publication of the ADS-L posting, but a revision and
  expansion of it).

  arnold