number format and semantic hairsplitting in China

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 9 12:02:17 UTC 2009

It's not a rule, it's *style*. Every publisher has its own style,
although some make it easy and subscribe to someone else's, e.g., AP,
NYT or Chicago Manual of Style. The same applies to fractions (ordinary
and decimal), percents, years, etc. Just because someone expresses a
particular style preference in rigid terms (e.g., Strunk&White) is no
reason to either take on faith or accept it as universal. And declaring
something to be a rule because "perhaps there is good reason for the
rule" is the equivalent of parental "because I told you so".

    VS-)