autonym

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat May 9 22:31:09 UTC 2009

At 6:04 PM -0400 5/9/09, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>Having the OED open at this instant, I note that "auto-" may not be
>necessary:  "ethnonym: A proper name by which a people or ethnic
>group is known; spec. one which it calls itself."
>
>Joel

The problem is precisely that "spec.", indicating that the "autonym"
use really is just a specific variety of "ethnonym", which extends to
slurs as used by outsiders (in fact it did so on this list a while
back).  This is a rather pernicious autohyponymy, given the rather
robust contrast between insulting labels used by non-members of a
group and self-identifying labels used by a group's members, along
with I presume non-insulting neutral exolabels.

LH