Pronunciation of "Ngaio"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat May 9 23:53:55 UTC 2009

At 7:52 PM -0300 5/9/09, David A. Daniel wrote:
>There is a(n) (in)famous poker player named Scotty Nguyen. He pronounces his
>name Scotty Win - could be more marketing than etymocultural. (Hmmm. Appears
>I may have just coined etymocultural. Remember: you saw it here first.)
>DAD

Yes, I remember Scotty Nguyen (with the
pronunciation you note) from WSOPs past.  There's
also a Dallas Cowboys linebacker and now coach
named Dat Nguyen from Vietnam (although he grew
up in Texas).  According to the wiki site for him
at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dat_Nguyen the
name is pronounced Vietnamese style with initial
velar nasal (note the IPA transcription at the
beginning), but I seem to recall that was not the
standard practice by announcers when he was
playing.  Another web site suggests "[win]",
which I suspect is intended to represent [wIn] as
in Scotty.  Kudos to wikipedia for the old
college try, though.

LH