"mink" (n.) = 'a black, a Negro'?

Sun May 10 18:16:45 UTC 2009

> Nothing on my shelf either, at a glance. But there is/was the expression
> "black as a mink", which was used early enough (at G. Books from 1815)
> and which probably accounts for the "mink" allusion.

        New-York General Sessions, Nov. 8.  People vs. Beers. -- Beers, a mink-black little negro, and for years an approved waiter in a most respectable porter-house and tavern in Nassau-street, and lately a principal actor in the African corps dramatique, was yesterday tried and convicted of grand larceny.  It has been suggested that his passion for his new pursuit led him to the deed for the purpose of obtaining funds to purchase decorations for his theatre.
***
New-York American, November 10, 1821, p. 2, col. 5

> I see a few 19th-century instances of 'black' men named/nicknamed "Mink"
> (?relevance).

I think I recall a Faulkner character named "Mink" -- he would have been a white haracter.

GAT

George A. Thompson