clunker, junker (1936)

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue May 12 18:31:14 UTC 2009

1934  John Edwin Hogg, "The Bogey of War in the Air," _Forum and Century_ 92 (Dec.): 345:  "The modern five-inch anti-aircraft gun handling high-explosive shells bears about as much resemblance to its World War prototype as a 1935 motor car compared with the unreliable old 'klunker' of 1900."

May we assume that well before the end of 1934 (as is the practice today) the next year's automobile models were already being sold?

Mencken (in supplement 2, p. 725) also spelled the word "klunker."

--Charlie