"Mop" in Caldonia (UNCLASSIFIED)

Paul paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Fri May 22 00:08:54 UTC 2009

I can't find the lyric anywhere but wasn't there a song "Funny Bone"
lyric starts "I say F, I say F U.   etc ..F U N N Y  B O N E funny bone" ?
right after Rag Mop and pretty daring for us 10/12 year olds

Wilson Gray wrote:
> One of my most favoritest songs, when I was twelve years old.
>
> Is this a "silly song" about a rag mop, a common household utensil of
> the day? Or is it a deep pun combining "rag" as a kind of music with
> the beat-marker "mop" from another kind of music?
>
> -Wilson
> ------
> All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"---a strange complaint to
> -----
> -Mark Twain
>

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Paul <paulzjoh at mtnhome.com> wrote:

>> Sender: ?  ?  ?  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster: ?  ?  ?  Paul <paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM>
>> Subject: ?  ?  ? Re: "Mop" in Caldonia (UNCLASSIFIED)
>>
>> then there was "RAG MOP' 1950 Though Caladonia
>>

>> ? M
>> ? I say M-O
>> ? M-O-P
>> ? M-O-P-P
>> ? Mop
>> ? M-O-P-P
>> ? Mop Mop Mop Mop
>>
>> ? R
>> ? I say R-A
>> ? R-A-G
>> ? R-A-G-G
>> ? Rag
>> ? R-A-G-G M-O-P-P
>> ? Rag Mop
>>
>> ? Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah
>> ? Rag Mop
>> ? Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah
>> ? Rag Mop
>> ? Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah
>> ? Rag Mop
>> ? Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah
>> ? Rag Mop
>> ? Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah
>> ? R-A-G-G M-O-P-P
>> ? Rag Mop!
>>
>> ? A
>> ? I say A-B
>> ? A-B-C
>> ? A-B-C-D
>> ? A-B-C-D-E
>> ? A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H
>>
>> ? I
>> ? I say M-O
>> ? M-O-P
>> ? M-O-P-P
>> ? Mop
>> ? M-O-P-P
>> ? Mop Mop Mop Mop
>>
>> ? R
>> ? I say R-A
>> ? R-A-G
>> ? R-A-G-G
>> ? Rag
>> ? R-A-G-G M-O-P-P
>> ? Rag Mop
>>
>> ? Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah
>> ? Rag Mop
>> ? Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah
>> ? Rag Mop
>> ? Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah
>> ? Rag Mop
>> ? Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah
>> ? Rag Mop
>> ? Doo-doo-doo-DAH-dee-ah-dah
>> ? R-A-G-G M-O-P-P
>> ? Rag Mop!
>>

>> Wilson Gray wrote:
>>
>>> It's just an exclamation used to mark the beat, probably originally a
> [...]

                        Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
                (doesn't that sound like the ingredients for a great camping trip?).