Fewer salary/slaries

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Sat May 23 13:14:57 UTC 2009

On May 22, 2009, at 7:22 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 5/22/2009 08:38 PM, Arnold Zwicky wrote:
>> On May 22, 2009, at 5:05 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

>>> -----------------------
>>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>> Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
>>> Subject:      Re: Fewer salary/slaries

>>> Isn't "salary" a mass noun?  I don't count salary/salaries, I
>>> accumulate it.  :-)   Am I supposed to say "I have (earn) fewer
>>> salaries than he?"
>>
>> no, no, the point is that  some of the relevant  hits have "fewer
>> than" and some have "less than", and both are possible,
>
> No, no, my point is that in comparing *salaries* (dollar amounts)
> "less than" is correct.  I don't quarrel with "fewer than" for
> countable things.

i'm sorry.  i forgot that the original example had someone saying that
her salary was "five times less" than someone else's.  yes, "salary"
is a mass noun, and "less" is entirely correct (and "fewer" is not).
other examples have plural count nouns, so sticklers would insist on
"fewer" there (though some people would use "less" here too).

arnold