contiguous/contagious

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Sun May 24 16:03:36 UTC 2009

On May 24, 2009, at 7:34 AM, Bill Palmer wrote:

> I don't think this rises to the level of belonging in the
> Eggcornucopia,
> but amusing, nonetheless.
>
> Chapel Hill News 5/24/09, a letter to the editor points out that:
>
> "...Walgreen's also purchased four contagious parcels at the
> intersection of..."

almost surely a classical malapropism, but not unique.  what follows
is a complete list of the (seven) other "contagious parcels" examples
i googled up.

The ranch is located in two non-contagious parcels approximately ¾
mile apart.
www.headquarterswest.com/listings/udall/index.htm

The property consists of three contagious parcels of land which have
been under NEFF management since ...
www.neforestry.org/forestry/search.asp?state=ME

.. and convenient rights of access to such roadways from contagious
parcels upon such reasonable terms and conditions as the Applicant may
impose. ...
www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/airports/aip/military_airport_program/media/map_application.doc

... master [water] meters on both of the non-contagious parcels.
www.slcgov.com/boards/plancom/2008/August/sr_4100844.pdf

Since the hydrocarbon field development normally does not require
large contagious parcelsof land the physical displacement will be
limited to a few ...
www.cairnindia.com/Display.aspx?MasterId=3bb362ba-a9e6-402d-b300-952037c2c6fe&NavigationId=761

The federal government responded by purchasing a large number of
contagious parcels with the intent of possibly constructing a military
base.
www.warrentwp.org/history.php

development normally does not require large contagious parcels of
land ...
designsonyou.info/cairnindia/pdf/Rajasthan%20LACP%20Framework
%20Document%20-%20F...