"could care less"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 24 20:45:26 UTC 2009

FWIW, the first person that I ever heard use "I could care less,"
after I had been in training perhaps four hours, was our black
Puerto-Rican barracks sergeant, who had a *very* thick accent. I
thought first that he merely lacked sufficient command of English to
realize that he had misspoken. But, within a day or so, it became
clear that *all* members of the cadre used the phrase minus the
negation hundreds of times a day each. By contrast, the phrase
practically doesn't occur "on civvy street" (AFAICR, this was a
WWII-ish expression, already obsolete by the time of my time) any more
often than Army "stockade" is correctly used in place of Navy "brig."
I once saw a reference in the NYT to the "brig" at Fort Leavenworth.
Would the NYT refer to Broadway as "Hollywood Boulevard"?!

Well, "brig" is at least an improvement over the once *very* popular
"guardhouse." Until I was actually on guard duty for the first time -
in the middle of a thunderstorm, scared shitless that my individual
weapon, muzzle pointed skyward at right shoulder, arms! would call
down the lightning from the clouds - I had no idea that a "guardhouse"
was literally a structure in which guards were housed - when not
actively engaged in taking charge of their posts and and all other
military property in view - and not a military jail or prison, for
which "stockade" is the proper term in military jargon.

-Wilson
–––
-----
-Mark Twain