the dissappearing "awe" sound (UNCLASSIFIED)

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Tue May 26 20:07:48 UTC 2009

As was pointed out to you the last time you raised this example, "off" and
"on" have the same vowel in many (probably most) dialects of English
including modern RP (=Standard British English), Australian, and everywhere
in the US except for the North (i.e. north of I-80, roughly, through the
Great Lakes region). You, Tom, speak a minority dialect in which 'on' has an
unrounded vowel as in 'Don.' For many others who preserve a distinction
between 'Don' and 'dawn,' 'on' rhymes with the latter, and of course for
those of us with the merger 'on' rhymes with both.