"People of color" was; Re: Whom Hispanics call "Hispanic" -- or not

Barbara Need bhneed at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 27 20:33:05 UTC 2009

On the news last night (ABC or its local affiliate) they ran a clip in
which Sotomayor used the term "people of color", and, as far as I
could tell, she was including herself in that category. Now,
recognizing that many Hispanics are of mixed African and European
ancestry (not to mention Native American), I was a little taken aback.
Is it usual to include Hispanics among "people of color"?

Barbara

Barbara Need
Chicago