"People of color" was; Re: Whom Hispanics call "Hispanic" -- or not

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu May 28 14:39:47 UTC 2009

At 5/28/2009 09:54 AM, Baker, John wrote:
>         When "person of color" first became popular, back in the early
>1980s,

Just a historical note, recalling that Paul Johnston mentioned the
use of "nonwhite"in the 19th century:

The phrase "person of color" was quite common from the early 19th
century, circa 1815 on, in the various laws controlling them (in many
cases, in "negro, mulatto, or person of color").  It was also used,
for a while, by some blacks to refer to themselves (other blacks were
critical of that term).

Joel